Monday, March 28, 2011

Seriously!!! BOYS!!


As I watched one of my Kindergarteners on Friday play with his friends at Western day at school, I was amused to see him paying special attention to one sweet little girl in particular. Now Cole has mentioned her (whose name I will not say) to me before and told me that he thought she was pretty, but I realized on Friday, that she seems to feel drawn towards Cole also. It was so cute watching them run and play together, the innocence of their crush was so sweet and fun to watch. No worries, no cares, no pressures from society.. just running and playing together as friends do. The thoughts of that day had stayed with me and I was still caught up in the bliss of my children's innocence, when Cayden (Cole's twin brother) decided to completely shatter any and all happy thoughts that I was having. Yes, as the visions of Cole and his new-found friend floated through my head, with angelic choirs singing in the background.... I made the horrific mistake of asking my other 6 year old son about his interests at school! :) I turned to Cayden and said, "Cayden, are there any pretty girls in your class?" Now knowing Cayden's personality, I did not expect for him to divulge any earth shattering information to me, I thought I knew exactly what he would do, which was to let his ego swell and look at me with that annoyed, defiant look and simply gross out! I could not have been more wrong! His answer was in fact, earth shattering for me! As this sweet little 6 year old boy slowly, while rolling his big, beautiful blue eyes, turned to look at me, he said, "Mom," (with that "oh my gosh, I can't believe you would think I had a crush on a girl in my class!" tone in his voice), "I like big girls, with makeup and boobies."
.......and there you have it, the nine words that came out of my 6 year old son's mouth that brought all of my glorious thoughts of the "innocence of youth" to a screaming, screeching halt!
When I finally was able to pick my jaw up off the floor, my breath had eluded me, I could not focus, or breathe - I'm pretty sure I had to talk myself back into consciousness! I had no words.... I searched and searched for a way to ward off the laughter that was welling up inside of me, but I could no longer fight it. As much as I wanted to despise the sexist comment that came right out of my 6 year old's mouth, I could not do it!
Right then and there it was confirmed for me: they are all literally born this way! There is absolutely NOTHING I can do to change that about him, (and in all actuality, I guess I do not want to change that about him). At that moment, it just erupted; the laughter was unstoppable, I could not stop. I laughed until I cried, literally, and of course he began to laugh hysterically too, knowing that he had been funny - which is all he really cares about anyway. :)
Yes folks, there you have it! I have now contributed to the one thing that, as women, we sometimes loath, and that is the nature of men...boys even! I sincerely offer my apologies to the Future Mrs Cayden Wilson, because as his mother, I failed to control myself at that moment. Now, and forever he will believe that it is ok (even funny!) to look at pretty girls with make-up on and boobies!!!
As for my short-lived moments of bliss, where for just a few hours I basked in the joys of the "innocence of youth".... it is gone now... can we all have a moment of silence for this "idea" that once lived in my heart....
Thank you, and to all the girls out there that are about the age of 6, remember - God loves you, stay true to who you are, and PLEASE COVER UP THOSE BOOBIES when you get them!!! :D
I'm out! :D

1 comment:

  1. Funniest story I've heard in a LONG time!!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete